Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Lunchtime Surprise

Yesterday, while on my lunch break, I watched a really nice smallmouth bass track my fly from the moment I stripped past a large rock.  That fish was tracking my fly as it fell, getting closer, then as they went out of sight...nothing.  A couple of light strips, nothing.  The fish was gone and I was heartbroken.  I'm positive it would have been my best smallie of the year and a certain 18+ inches long, minimum.  Today I decided to return.  I hoped that the incoming weather would have the fish in a cooperative mood.  Instead of the craw, I tied on the trusty Murdich Jig Minnow I have had tremendous success with this year in my best color, white/smelt blue.  In the same location as the encounter with the big bronzeback, I feel a "tick" and set the hook.  I had something big, but knew it was not fighting like a smallie.  My 3wt was begging for mercy.


The guessing game didn't last long, as the fish came to the surface.  It was my biggest ever spotted gar.  I have caught gar on the fly in the past using rope flies and was honestly never impressed with their spunk or fight.  This fish changed that perception.  I was the recipient of several line stripping runs and was starting to wonder how I would actually be able to land and control this beast.



Finally, after several failed attempts, I got the fish into a shallow spot where I could get my hands on it.  Obtaining decent photos of a fish this long, by myself, was quite the chore.  I did the best I could do.  This fish had really cool spotting on its tail, flashing a little beauty for what most consider to be a trash fish.



No smallies came to hand in the brief outing, but the big gar made it a memorable time on the water.  As Forrest Gump famously said about life, this river is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get.  As a few parting shots, this fish tagged me on the left arm and right hand, drawing a small amount of blood on both. 





No comments:

Post a Comment