Monday, May 1, 2017

Interesting (and Fun) Lessons from Recent Outings

My last two trips out, I have learned...in the first case re-learned I guess...a couple of fun little lessons.  Last week, on a rare week night of fishing for me, I had some bass chasing streamers but not eating.  A few times they nipped at the tail, but failed to get the hook on a larger 4-5" streamer.  I was getting frustrated, and decided to go extreme in the opposite direction: small.  I dug into my creek bass box for the smallest Murdich Minnow I had.  It was a size 6 coming in about 2" long, possibly a hair longer.  But still, small.  The switch paid dividends quickly with the better of only two bass I would land on the night.




Almost at dark, after I had switched back to a larger streamer again, an average bass came chasing my larger Murdich but wouldn't commit.  After a few more casts, I went small again.  When I saw the take, I thought this fish was bigger than he was, he just had a large head for his size.



The more interesting part of the second outing was at the pond where, a few weeks earlier, I caught one of the larger bluegills of my life.  For the better part of two hours, I whacked big bluegills on a foam topwater spider/beetle.  On this trip, the pond had some green algae in it, and the fish were acting very lethargic.  Whether it was the algae or what, I don't know, but I caught nothing on top.  Not even a strike at the same fly they terrorized recently.  I switched to a small subsurface fly I call the "Nothin' Special," under an indicator, and fished it just off the bank past the old spawning beds (which are still visible).  I immediately caught a big bluegill.  I tested the areas a little deeper, or where there were no visible beds in the same general depths, and caught nothing.  If I found beds, fished just off of them a little deeper, I popped good fish.  My only guess was that they were "staging" in these areas in preparation for the spawn.  Whatever the case, it was great action when I found the fish!





4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your technique, Jeff. Good information there and nice fish, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto Mel - I learn every time I drop in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! I appreciate the feedback. Things are finally starting to heat up a bit here. If we could just get the rain gods to relax a little, the flows would clean up and the real fun could begin. This spring is looking like a complete washout so far on river/creek fishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I have only been to the stream once, and it was way up then. Managed one before I put the SUP in, but there was too much current to fish much without moving too fast downstream.

      Delete