Tuesday, February 28, 2017

My #1 Winter Project: Completed

Typically, I go into the winter tying "season" with a few goals.  Maybe some new patterns, trialing a new idea or two I have brainstormed, building a surplus of commonly used streamers, etc...  This year, I kept it pretty basic and straight forward.  One goal: fill one fly box with my go-to patterns for creek bass.  Thanks to volunteering to participate in a Fly Tying Expo at my closest fly shop, I had the perfect opportunity to top off my box with the last (and most important) patterns I needed to fill it up.  Last year, my best creek bass pattern was the HD Craw, and that was the fly I was to tie at the show.


I was not sure how many I would be able to crank out in a show setting, because a lot of time is spent explaining steps and answering questions.  I had the materials with me to tie a lot of them, and figured whatever I can't fit in my box would be stored in a surplus box for refilling later in the spring/summer.  I was a little shocked at how many I was able to turn out in just a couple of hours.



Here's a quick run down of the other patterns I have stuffed my creek bass box with for the upcoming season.  Arguably my second most important fly is the Murdich Minnow in a size 6.  I can go to war with the HD Craw and the Murdich and be pretty much set.


New to creek bassing this year will be the unnamed generic streamer with the Slow Rolla tail that has tested so well early this winter/spring.


For shallower fish, the Hairy Mara streamer is a great little pattern that, fished as-is, will stay just under the surface.



Also new for me this year is a "critter fly" that has tested really well in the tank that I have dubbed the Trailer Park Ninja.  It's tied along similar lines to some carp patterns I have fished with success and is perfectly weighted for a slow fall to entice strikes.


Historically, my go-to fly for small stream bass has been the Bronze Goddess in the following color combos.  The white/gray/pink has claimed my best creek bass the last 3 years in a row, and the black/blue and craw color combos are also great producers when I need a fly to get down.



Once all was put into a waterproof double-sided box, as tightly as I could really get them in there, this was the end result.  I can't wait for warm temperatures and clean flows to put this box to work.  Typically, in this area, I will be lucky to get onto the small flows in good conditions until later in May to early June.  Spring rains muddy and raise these waters in a hurry.  It won't be long!








  





3 comments:

  1. Some awesome flies. I have to thank you for the "no name" streamer with the slow rolla... I tied a bunch up last night - fast tie and man, just no doubt they will be super effective. I need to do up a few more to try out the flashabou front articulation option you noted the other day.

    On this list, The bronze goddess is a new one to me (as are a few others you noted) but it looks very very similar to a fly I "created" that I call the Ugly damsel, same basic idea overall and that fly catches fish like crazy... I need to try some of your colors.

    On the Harry Marra, is that basically a stout marabou tail, then tie in deer hair forward, push it back and do the "bullet" head? What's the under body to keep that throat so thick? GREAT looking fly!

    Love to see your creativity at the vice - the simple, super effective flies you keep creating or refining are amazing! Thanks for taking "us" along with you on the ride!

    will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments! I may do a video or SBS on the Bronze Goddess. If you do a google search, I believe there is an old SBS on a warm water tying site.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Jeff. Great show of your favorite patterns for Small Stream Bass and additions to your Streamer arsenal. There are a few patterns that I would like to know more about for sure. I am especially interested in the little Marabou streamer pattern and also the Trailer Park Ninja!

    ReplyDelete