Monday, October 17, 2016

Another Life Hack: Burr Removal

In the past few weeks, I have rediscovered how much I hate burrs being caked onto my clothes and gear.  The secluded public pond I have fished a handful of times this fall is surrounded by fields of burrs.  Despite my best efforts to be careful, my fishing pants became caked with them.  My Internet searches have told me the kind I hate the most are called beggar ticks, and removing them is a royal pain.  The burr is pronged on the end, and they hold on tight.  Brushing at them with your hands does nothing, and the thought of plucking them all individually was frightening.


I was trying to figure out an easier way to remove the little devils when it hit me, a potential life-saving solution.  I ran upstairs and dug into the pet care box under the counter and grabbed the slicker brush we use to remove shedding hair from the cat.


It worked like a charm at removing the beggar ticks.  In a few short minutes of brushing, I managed to remove at least 90% of them.  This was a major time saver, and something I will certainly be doing after every upcoming trip to that pond.  If you look close enough, you can see where my feet were, surrounded by a shower of burrs.  If your fishing excursions take you through burr country, remember this little trick. 




3 comments:

  1. GENIUS! I have some hunting clothes I still am picking them out of from a year ago - they survive washing! Love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call! So when can we expect some more kayak carp fishing videos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not until spring now. We're cooling down in Ohio and I doubt I will get another crack at them this year. If I get a free warm morning it could be worth a shot, though.

      Delete