Friday, October 20, 2017

Tying Tutorial: *Name to be determined*

Several weeks ago, browsing the web, I came across Kiley's Thin Finz.  Thin Finz are a new tailing product designed to look like a baitfish tail made by the same company (Flyskinz, by Jonathan Kiley) which produces a few of my favorite tying materials: Exo Skin and Slow Rolla tails.  What makes these Finz different is their material.  Instead of being a rubbery product, they are extremely thin nylon.  In hand, they weigh absolutely nothing.  It's as if they are made of paper but seem to be quite durable given their thickness and weight.  They also take marker well if you want to add detail (all Thin Finz come in white).

As soon as I found them available online, I ordered a few packs for some simple streamer ideas.  My "wheelhouse" for streamer size, given where I fish most often, is usually in the 2-3" range.  That size has proven big enough to tempt some larger fish but also is small enough that small stream bass and crappies have little trouble eating them.  My initial test pattern with the Thin Finz looked great on the vise and in hand, but I wasn't sold until I saw the fly swim on my lunch outing a few days ago.  The tails kick and flutter very well on the strip.  I immediately knew I had something good for my style of fishing, and I didn't even need to see a fish eat the fly to know that.  It was icing on the proverbial cake, though, when it happened.  A lot.  Here's a quick SBS on the pattern as I have tied it.  A clever name will have to wait.

Hook - Size 4 Octopus hook
Thread - 6/0
Tail - Kiley's Thin Finz (size small)
Flash - Lateral Scale
Gills/Hot Spot - Ice Dub
Body - Laser Dub or Bruiser Blend (streamer dubbing of your choice)
Head - Fish Mask size 4

Lay a thread base on the hook shank, ending at about the hook point.  I have been asked about the upturned eye of the Octopus hook, but I feel it doesn't make much difference in this fly.  A straight eyed hook with a short shank would also work great.  I'm just using what I have.


Tie in the Thin Finz by the small tab to the side of the hook.  Keep the Thin Finz in line with the shank of the hook.


I add one piece of standard size Lateral Scale to each side of the fly, extending about halfway down the length of the tail.  This will shine and bleed through nicely when you're done.


Insert a small clump of Ice Dub, red in this case, into a dubbing loop.  Spin it fairly tight, then wrap it forward, leaving about a Fish Mask length of space between the material and the hook eye.


Use a dubbing brush to pick out some of the Ice Dub and coax it backwards towards the tail of the fly.


Tie in a clump of Laser Dub/Bruiser Blend on the top and another equal length clump on the bottom, tied in with the tips facing forward.  I measure the length before tying it in so that it will extend about halfway back over the Thin Finz tail.  Color choice is up to you.  I went classic olive over white for this demo.  You can now whip finish and cut your thread.


Brush the streamer dubbing rearward, being careful to work the belly material around the hook point.  You can also add some barring or other artwork via marker at this stage if your heart desires.


Add the Fish Mask head to top off the fly.  I like to add a small dab of gel super glue to the streamer dubbing on the belly side before adding the Mask.  It's a little extra insurance that it stays put.  Add a thread dam in front of the Mask, glue on some 3D eyes, and you're done.


I have tied these in several colors known to produce for me.  They all look great in the water, cast very easily, and have a slow seductive sink rate for fishing still waters or light current in flowing water.  One of the most impressive attributes, to me, is the lack of the tail fouling.  Thus far, it has not been an issue, and that was my biggest concern.  If you get your hands on some Thin Finz, give this simple streamer a shot.  It's a fast, pretty easy tie that the fish like.









7 comments:

  1. Very nice fly, Jeff. It seems it would be very effective in lakes where LMB are foraging on shad, too. In fact, that would be a killer hybrid fly, as well.

    Is the crappie bite picking up around your area? Here in Portsmouth I think they're staring to move in from the Ohio River into the tributaries. I am planning a trip in a week or two, see if they're fattening up before winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been hit or miss for me. I'm used to finding them in schools, find one and you find a dozen. Lately it's been lots of singles, finding them sporadically.

      Delete
  2. Love the pattern, eye candy to any tyer!well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It put a few small fish in hand yesterday on my lunch outing. 33 degree air temps, rain, wind, November in Ohio...and it still produced.

      Delete
  3. Nice work not familiar th some of the material you used for the White in the body
    They look like these would be killer in the flats.
    Can you hook me up with some material samples location to buy them and send me one ...please tell me the price I think I want to start tying them

    Thanks
    Hugh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't sell flies. The tails are available through Caster's Fly Shop online for sure, that's where I have ordered them.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete