I managed to squirm my way through the game, but the pain was getting worse as the night went on. By 11PM, I woke up my wife and said it was time to go to the emergency room. My assumption was kidney stone, but it turned out to be gallstones. Lots of them. I was slated for surgery to remove the gallbladder the following day. Recovery has gone pretty well, but vise time was pretty non-existent due to the pain post-surgery and an inability to comfortably sit in my tying chair.
When I finally was able to get in the tying room, I decided to tie a few throwback streamers. Not the bulky, water-pushing modern streamers, but more classically designed hair wing streamers that I enjoy fishing on light weight fly rods in smaller streams. I added a little modern flair with some Ice Dub and 3D eyes, but the guts of the patterns are classic bucktail and squirrel tail with cheeks of mallard flank.
On our last few trips into town to shop for groceries and other household necessities, I have kept my eyes peeled for the newest sensation in tying materials: mops. I have a few ideas for "mop fly" designs a little different than the standard patterns. I expect to have some fun with these. The auto detailing mitt came from WalMart, the green duster from Kroger. Both were under $5. Once I get some flies tied, I will post them up here.