Friday, February 24, 2017

Slow Rolla SBS and Report

I have had a few requests for a SBS on the new small Slow Rolla streamer.  Since it tested well in the tank and caught several fish on the live animal testing, I'll post it up here.  The recipe is as follows.

- Hook: Gamakatsu SP11-3L3H size 8
- Weight: .020 non lead
- Tail: Slow Rolla (small)
- Body: Laser Dub
- Head: 4mm Fish Mask

Start off by wrapping the .020 non lead (8-10 wraps) onto the shank.


Secure the wraps in place with thread, leaving a little space between the lead wraps and hook eye.  Then, tie in the Slow Rolla.  I tie them onto the top of the shank.


This next step is to reduce fouling of the tail a bit.  Tie in and veil over the base of the tail a little Laser Dub.  You won't need much.  If you want some bleed-thru effect, use a brighter/hotter color here.  For this demo, I just stuck with white.


Smear a little UV resin into the Laser Dub, then hit it with a torch or expose to the sun to cure.  This will help keep the tail from fouling around the hook a little bit.


Create a long dubbing loop (or you could use a Laser Dub brush if you can make dubbing brushes), insert your Laser Dub, spin it tight and wrap.  You can pick out the spun material before wrapping or after wrapping, I have done both and both methods work.


Wrap your spun Laser Dub, tie off, trim the excess, and whip finish.


Use a bodkin, pick, dubbing brush, or all of the above to brush out the wrapped material.  I initially brush it straight out perpendicular to the shank like this.  Free as much of the material as you can.


Stroke or brush the Laser Dub back.  If some Laser Dub reaches back into the curled portion of the Slow Rolla, I pinch the excess material and break it off with my thumb nail. 


To add color, use the permanent marker(s) of your choosing, or leave it solid color if you want to knock these out really fast.  For this demo, I used a Sharpie highlighter in a chartreuse color, and black sharpie for barring.


Test fit, then glue on your 4mm Fish Mask and glue in the 4mm 3D eyes.  I always add a small thread dam in front of the Mask for extra security and holding power.


This is a really quick and easy pattern to tie that has also been incredibly effective for me in limited testing.  It's more than crappies could handle.  The fact that it tested so well in Ohio in February gives me a lot of optimism that the pattern will fish really well once the conditions get optimal.








2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the SBS. I haven't been out for crappie in a while - the local crappie pond just hasn't been the same since the road constrution right along the bank. Perhaps, I'll give this one a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete