Thursday, January 26, 2017

Different Twist on Bluegill Flies

These last few evenings I have experimented with a different technique for forming the body on a bluegill fly.  Has it been done before?  Probably, but I haven't seen it and it was new to me.  I think the technique could be applied to patterns for other species, also.  What I did was tie in three strands of rubber leg material, twist it into a "rope," and wrap it.  I really liked the effect and end result.  It's a grubby, mottled looking body and the taper can be manipulated by either tension on the legs while wrapping or the underbody of the fly.  I chose tension.  Using barred centipede style legs, the barring produces a cool mottled effect.  Here's a look at the body of one bug before I added the soft hackle.


I tied just a pair of different test patterns.  The first was a larger, slightly more complex bug that I think the larger local bluegills and hybrid sunfish will enjoy.  The second was a simpler soft hackle pattern on a much shorter shank hook for a more bite-size pattern.  Here are the recipes and photos of both.

Hook - DaiRiki 280 Size 10
Thread - 6/0
Bead - 3/32" brass
Weight - 6 wraps .020 non lead
Tag/Tail - Lazer Dub and rubber legs
Body - three strands rubber legs, twisted and wrapped
Collar - deer hair tips
Legs - rubber legs
Head - Ice Dub



Hook - DaiRiki 135 Size 10
Thread - 6/0
Bead - 3/32" brass
Tag - Lazer Dub 
Body - three strands rubber legs, twisted and wrapped
Head - Ice Dub
Hackle - India Hen soft hackle



I wanted both to be lightly weighted, essentially just enough to break the surface and slowly sink the fly.  I added the 6 wraps of .020 on the larger bug to help sink the sparse deer hair collar.  Although they are both tied on size 10 hooks, the different hook styles produce very different sized flies.  The 280 is a 2XL "hopper" hook, the 135 a short shank "scud" style hook.  If the weather cooperates, I might try these out this weekend.  If the weather doesn't cooperate, I'll have to wait for a thaw!   


6 comments:

  1. Very nice blog. I like your Popcorn Sculpin. I too enjoy chasing creek bass. I left a query on your Small Stream Bass post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice blog. I'm adding you to my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff, thanks for sharing your work on these Bluegill bugs. I love fly fishing and fly tying for Bluegill and other Panfish species. I will take a Largemouth or Smallmouth if I get some interested. Anyway, thanks for the idea of using some rubber legs for the body.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting idea! A few decades ago, on a popular tailwater here in MA, people often fished with what they called a "rubber band fly". What they did, was similar to what you did, but using a skinny, gray rubber band - the type your daily newspaper would be wrapped in. It was just wound around the hook a bunch and then tied off at the head. I hadnt thought much of that fly in a LONG time, but seeing this it popped right to mind. Your idea is way stronger and certainly improved with the multiple colors and the material you used. It's a great idea! Thanks for sharing it!
    Will

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some great looking little flies Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing valuable information. Nice post. I enjoyed reading this post.
    โกเด้นสล็อต

    ReplyDelete