Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Back Yard Jewels

Almost within casting range of my back deck is a small tributary of an Ohio River tributary.  I usually pay it little attention because it's often filled with cattle, muddy, and I rarely catch anything but creek chubs.  I found myself last Saturday with about 90 minutes to kill and figured it was worth a shot if it was clean enough to fish.  The cattle were elsewhere, the water stained but not too awful, so I rigged the 1wt TFO and went over the bank.


I immediately caught a few chubs on a small yellow foam popper.  Then a few casts later, watched a decent sized bass (for this small trickle) blast the popper.  I fought the fish for a few seconds and had the popper come flying loose, the bass was gone.  I moved onto the next little pool and picked up a tiny green sunfish.  These things seem to be everywhere there is water in SE Ohio.


In some shallow water, I spotted the major hazard of this type of fishing...especially if you're wearing sandals.


After a while, I moved back upstream to the small pool where I lost the bass, and switched flies to a size 10 black buggerish/Goddess type fly.  I drifted the fly through the pool, deep, and got a strike.  It was, I believe, the same spotted bass I lost 45 minutes earlier.  I really don't think there are too many bass that size in this little creek, and two of them in the same small pool seems unlikely, to me.  It was a great little fight on the 1wt.


At the last stop, I put the popper back on and was rewarded with a small dose of my favorite fish in Ohio: the longear sunfish.  In my humble opinion, they rank right up there with brook trout on the beauty scale.  This little guy was colored nicely and was an excellent top-off for the short trip.





3 comments:

  1. That's a cool trip afield! It's great to have a small stream right out your door. Fun way to spend some time for sure.
    Keep well
    Will

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jeff, I just came across your blog from "Hibernation's" blog. Like what I see and would like to share some readership with you. I will be adding your blog to my blogroll over on mine. Stop over and say hello when you get a chance. If you get a blogroll up on your blog give me a shout. Here is my link: http://flyfishintimes.blogspot.com

    Fishing a one weight rod has got to be pretty much fun and when the fishing is close too home then even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good! Sorry I'm just now getting back to you, the end of last week was hectic.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete